6 old girls go to France

Favourite sites, trips and tips etc

Moderators: comando, 71dormy, johnant, itsme, 65CA

Jabbawocky

6 old girls go to France

Postby Jabbawocky » November 9th, 2010, 12:14 am

Hi all
Just signed up to your forum as I noticed there were no posts in the camping section.

6 of us with Land Rover based campers went from Yorkshire for a great few days in France (21st -24th October 2010). 8 of the vehicles were Series 2a Land Rovers and therefore made between 1958 - 1971. There was 1 Series 3 from the 70's and a sorry, a modern Defender camper. We had 8 Dormobiles, 2 carawagons and 1 were not quite sure of?

I have to admit to being a bit nervous about dashing down for the ferry, after Louise finished work, in a 40 year old Land Rover, but all worked out very well. We arrived bang on time in Dover and did have time to take it a little steadier after we got off the M25. Managed to find the others from Yorkshire on the M2, which was great to see that we had all made it.

William loves going on holiday in Barney

As we arrived in France at 3.00am, we stopped the night on the Aires de Service in Calais.

Is everybody Happy?

Frank's Truck

Bea, Phil's truck.

Alex and Friends

Big Dave and his lovely Carawagon

John's equally lovely carawagon

Barney with half finished awning on back

Time for Tea

Jan, Louise and William enjoying the French Sunshine

Nice Hat Dave!

Very lovely village. Well worth a visit.

The three French Dormobiles

The British are here

We all made it home, but had 4 blow outs in the four days and my gearbox mainshaft snapped in the middle of France. Being a Land Rover, she rattled and banged all the way home. Two days latter I tried to move hre and the gearbox locked solid.
Enough is enough said the old girl!!

Cheers Mick

telfordbob

Re: 6 old girls go to France

Postby telfordbob » November 29th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Looks like a good trip and a good time had by all :) . Nice to see you out numbered the french :) .

Return to “Camping”